QJA is licenced to deliver the Course in Community Justice Services 10794NAT - Justice of the Peace (Qualified) and 10793NAT - Commissioner for Declarations

Who can become a JP in Queensland?

To become a JP or Cdec you must be:

  • an Australian citizen
  • at least 18 years old
  • of good character
  • registered on the Queensland electoral roll

Am I eligible to become a JP?

To be appointed by the Department of Justice and Attorney-General you must be eligible.  Before you register you should check if you would be considered eligible.  You can check here

How much does it cost?

The cost for the course for Commissioner for Declarations (Cdec) is $320 and for Justice of the Peace (Qualified) (JPQ) is $400 (from 1st January 2020)

Fees include complimentary membership of our association for 12 months which gives you access to ongoing support, member workshops, our extensive web resources including member tools and refresher quizzes as well as coverage under our umbrella voluntary workers and liability policy. 

What types of JP are there in Queensland?

The two common types of JPs in Queensland are a Commissioner for Declarations and a Justice of the Peace Qualified.  For appointment as either you need to meet the eligibility requirements and undertake a short course - 10794NAT Course in Community Justice Services (Justice of the Peace [Qualified]) or 10793NAT Course in Community Justice Services (Commissioner for Declarations).  QJA offers both of these courses online and in classroom.  

There are other types of JPs but these have special designations - JP Magistrates Court and JP (Solicitors).  The former (JP Magistrates Court) are specially appointed to sit as Magistrates in courts and this requires special training and normally applies in regional areas only.   The latter (JP Solicitor) are lawyers with a practising certificate in law in Queensland.  To find out more, contact the Department of Justice and Attorney-General on 1300 301 147 or email to [email protected]

Ready to find a course and enrol?

QJA is a Registered Training Organisation (RTO) Licence no 31906.  You can undertake the course over 2-3 days on weekends or weekdays, in person at one of our locations, or online (refer to our Blended or Self-Paced courses).

Lets Go

What is the Difference between a JP (Qual) and Cdec?

A Commissioner for Declarations (Cdec) can perform the administrative duties namely:

  • Statutory Declarations
  • Affidavits
  • Certify Copies
  • Wills
  • Powers of Attorney
  • Land Titles Documents
  • Other documents where prescribed

A Justice of the Peace (Qualified) can perform the above and judicial duties such as:

  • Issuing summonses
  • Issuing arrest and search warrants
  • Attending records of interview
  • Hearing Bail Applications

Where can I find more information?

For more detail about the course contact the Training Coordinator 

Being a justice of the peace is an important job with a high degree of responsibility. As a justice of the peace, you will be handling important documents for the community that can have a significant impact on the lives of individuals. In Australia, Justices of the Peace (JPs) are actively involved in the legal system and community. If you agree to serve as a JP in Australia, you will contribute significant and useful services to your neighborhood's justice administration.

In Queensland, a justice of the peace has the power to issue arrest and search warrants and establish a magistrates' court that can grant bail, remand offenders in custody, and adjourn court sessions with the assistance of another justice of the peace.

Several tasks that would otherwise be carried out by a stipendiary magistrate are given to justices in Queensland, generally in isolated Aboriginal communities, who are appointed as JPs.

A lawyer can be made a Justice of the Peace in Queensland without any additional education or experience and has the same authority as a Justice of the Peace.

Why Become a Justice of the Peace?

There are several reasons why someone might wish to join the JP program. Some people choose to be JPs in order to assist at work. Others are inspired by a family member or friend. JPs are individuals who, like millions of Australian volunteers, have the same goals as other volunteers: they want to help others or their community and acquire personal fulfillment from doing good deeds. It's all about being charitable.

Who Cannot Be Appointed?

You cannot apply or hold office as a JP or Cdec if you:

  • At any time, the character of your home insurance may be invalidated if you have been convicted of a significant crime (i.e., an indictable offense, regardless of whether it was handled in the magistrates, district, or supreme court)
  • have been convicted of more than 2 offences of any kind at any time
  • have been convicted of an offence of any kind in the last 5 years
  • have been convicted of an alcohol or drug driving offence in the last 5 years
  • have been convicted of more than 2 traffic offences in the last 4 years (i.e. convictions under the Transport Operations (Road Use Management) Act 1995)
  • are an undischarged bankrupt (i.e. not yet free from bankruptcy).

Also, if you have been convicted of more than 6 offences under the Transport Operations (Road Use Management) Act 1995 in a 4 year period, you are not qualified to be appointed as a JP or Cdec for 5 years after the date of your last conviction.

Examples of offences include all types of criminal offences, drug related offences, financial (tax or business related), social security offences, shoplifting, or failure to pay a TOLL fee within the stated period of time.

Note that for traffic offences, a person who pays an amount by way of a penalty for an offence, is taken to have been convicted of the offence on the day the amount is paid.

These restrictions are from the Justices of the Peace and Commissioners for Declarations Act 1991.

How the Queensland Justice Association Can Help

Queensland Justices Association is Queensland’s most established and Australia’s largest association for honorary justices. Our vast experience allows us to deliver expert service and hands-on guidance to become the best JP you can.

We are a Registered Training Organisation (RTO) licenced to deliver the course required for appointment as a Justice of the Peace (Qualified) or Commissioner for Declarations.

Our instructors are not just qualified to TAE and experienced trainers, they are themselves JPs with many years of experience.

We are the only RTO providing training as well as membership and ongoing professional development for our students so we can offer ongoing support well after you have been appointed.

Queensland Justices Association offers different types of packages depending on your goals and situation. Individuals can apply for membership on our website, as can groups and partners. Group memberships are discounted, and a group membership is a great way for employees in a workplace to become JPs. If you and your partner are both interested in becoming a justice of the peace, then a joint partnership may offer the ideal pathway towards your establishment as a JP. As well as this, concession memberships are available for individuals who hold a health care or concession card, or for people who are a self-funded retiree.

Get in Touch

If you’re trying to find a justice of the peace, or are searching for a ‘justice of the peace near me’, use our website to view a justice of the peace list and justice of the peace register. The Queensland Justices Association offers the best training and development to become the best justice of the peace QLD you can be.